Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Haystack Pines

I spent a week at Haystack School of Arts and Crafts in Deer Isle, Maine, ten years ago and it was the most creative and magical experience I have had in my adult life. Living in the desert, I really miss the pine and fir trees and I guess I must have Maine on my mind as I recently came across a bunch of Deer Isle coastal photos. 

I wanted to tackle the tricky landscape greens in this painting as well as loose brushwork. I painted this painting primarily with my left hand as opposed to my right, which is my dominant hand. I really enjoyed working this way and hopefully it will prepare me to paint some plein air when I return to Maine next month.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooooo! You make me homesick for Haystack, what Kim Stafford used to call the "good school,' one of the places I'm proudest of having taught at. Thanks. Alfred.

    ReplyDelete